Middle School Attendance & Records Secretary
Company: St. Johns Public Schools
Location: Saint Johns
Posted on: November 19, 2021
TITLE: Middle School Attendance & Records SecretaryFLSA:
NON-EXEMPTREPORTS TO: Building PrincipalPOSTED: August 27,
2021SALARY: Commensurate with Secretary Contract - Level II -
Currently $11.70 per hourNUMBER OF DAYS: 200 paid days per Fiscal
Year, 7.5 hours per dayLOCATION: St. Johns Middle SchoolPOSITION
SUMMARYThe Middle School Attendance & Records Secretary (hereafter,
"secretary") position consists of monitoring daily attendance and
maintaining student records, managing student files, answering the
telephone, dispensing/witnessing student medications, and providing
assistance and supervision to students, along with other duties as
assigned by the Principal or Assistant Principal. The secretary
must exercise considerable discretion when releasing student
information, entering information into student files, and
determining pertinent information for student files. The secretary
also has the responsibility of preparing reports for the State
under the direction of the Principal. In addition, the secretary
coordinates and schedules some student recognition events and
assists in the publication of course guides. Some work is subject
to inflexible deadlines.If interested in this position, please
apply through Fast Track on the Employment page of the St. Johns
Public Schools' webpage (). A completed online application is
required for all applicants.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIESThese duties
and responsibilities are judged to be "essential functions" in
terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Performs preparation of statistical reports.
- Explains the school program to students and parents.
- Handles all calls for attendance (excused, unexcused).
- Informs parents/staff of St. Johns Public Schools attendance
- Coordinates homework assignments for students unable to attend
school due to illness, injury, or discipline.
- Records information in the student information system.
- Generates discipline-related attendance correspondence and
serves as liaison to the truancy officer.
- Organizes and supervises state pupil accounting for the Middle
- Prepares and submits state reports for the Middle School.
- Generates correspondence and communications using word
processing and computer skills and programs, including the Google
- Maintains confidentiality.
- Presents a positive demeanor when assisting with parent and
student complaints or concerns.
- Assigns lockers and combinations.
- Processes CA-60s; withdraws students and forwards records to
- Other duties as assigned.*RECOMMENDED EMPLOYMENT
- High school graduate
- Two years or more of college courses - preferredEXPERIENCE:
- Experience and training in clerical work and office practices
- Experience working with middle school age students is
- Other combinations of applicable education, training and
experience which provide the knowledge, abilities, and skills
necessary to perform effectively in the position may be
considered.OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:To perform this
job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are
representative of the knowledge, skills and/or ability required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Knowledge of office practices and procedures with specific
reference to records management, school curriculum, and course
- Ability to maintain a complete record system, assemble and
organize data, and prepare reports from such records.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise tact and sound
judgment in working with confidential information.
- Ability to make student referrals to appropriate school
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established
policies and procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with students, administrators and
instructional staff, and the central office staff.
- Knowledge of Google and Microsoft Suite applications.
- Ability to learn and master the district's student information
- Considerable knowledge of business English, vocabulary,
spelling, and arithmetic.
- Ability to verify incoming health records.
- Ability to maintain clerical records and prepare reports.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and
small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees
of the organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication and human relations
- Completion of a skills test may be required.The above
statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of
work being performed by a person in this position. They are not to
be construed as an exhaustive list of all duties that may be
performed by such a person.PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands
described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this
job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.While
performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly
required to sit and talk or hear. The employee frequently is
required to walk and stand and move quickly. Ability to move around
the office including stooping, bending, standing for extended
periods and moving heavy objects. Specific vision abilities
required by this job include close vision, color vision, and depth
perception.WORK ENVIRONMENT:The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work
environment usually varies.If interested in this position, please
apply through Fast Track. A completed online application is
required for all applicants. This position will be posted until
October 28, 2021, or until filled. It is the policy of St. Johns
Public Schools that no person or applicant shall be discriminated
against based on any protected class, be excluded from
participation in, or be denied the benefits of any program or
activity and in employment. Job Type: Part-timePay: From $11.70 per
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insuranceSchedule:
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to FridayEducation:
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)Work Location:
- One locationWork Remotely:
- NoWork Location: One location
Keywords: St. Johns Public Schools, Lansing , Middle School Attendance & Records Secretary, Administration, Clerical , Saint Johns, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!