Sr. Accessibility Engineer
Company: Jackson National Life Insurance Company
Posted on: February 21, 2021
Job Purpose Can sit in either Lansing, MI or Franklin, TN
(Nashville area). The Sr. Accessibility Engineer collaborates with
others to ensure accessibility standards are met throughout the
design, development, testing of products, and recommends solutions
that meet company goals. Works with colleagues in an agile
environment to create accessible user interfaces utilizing HTML,
passion for a11y and inclusive UX design via mentoring, supporting,
and providing thought leadership on accessibility best practices.
- Works with stakeholders to define user stories, validate
acceptance criteria, and prioritize/remediate accessibility
- Coordinates and executes accessibility audits of digital
properties for compliance with WCAG specifications utilizing
accessibility testing tools, assistive technology products, and
- Drives continuous improvements in accessibility and the user
experience through research and collaboration with others to
establish and maintain accessibility best practices, training,
tooling, and documentation.
- Participates in user research and UX design efforts to advise
on accessible design standards and solutions.
- Recommends, develops, and configures manual and automated
testing tools and accessibility rulesets.
- Creates standards-based, semantic, valid markup that provides a
positive user experience.
- Mentors others and promotes quality by performing code reviews,
mentoring others, assisting with the development of accessibility
training programs, and enforcing standards.
- Provides high level estimates, working with stakeholders to
scope out accessibility-related efforts and communicate changes as
- Maintains knowledge by researching and advising of the latest
accessibility-related developments, standards, and
- Works with minimal supervision on multiple concurrent projects.
- Performs other duties and/or projects as assigned. Knowledge,
Skills and Abilities
- Expert knowledge of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- Expert knowledge of utilizing frontend technologies and
WAI-ARIA, and Responsive Design.
- Excellent knowledge of user requirements for people with
disabilities engaging with digital media.
- Excellent attention to detail, good business judgement, and
strong orientation toward customer service.
- Excellent conceptual understanding of server-side
- Excellent knowledge of version control systems.
- Excellent knowledge of usability principles.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), presentation, and
- Excellent analytical ability and problem-solving skills.
- Strong knowledge of disability law including but not limited to
the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Section 508, and
Affordable Care Act Section 1557.
- Ability to interpret and advise on accessibility standards,
principles, and techniques.
- Ability to establish and maintain both internal and external
partnerships to further accessibility efforts.
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and
persuasively to different audiences throughout the
- Ability to independently learn new technologies and
- Ability to work with, configure, and mentor others on digital
assistive technologies, such as NVDA, JAWS, Narrator, VoiceOver,
and zoom tools, as well as accessibility testing tools.
- Solid understanding of the Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop,
Experience Designer [Xd], Illustrator, and InDesign), and related
UI development software.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to collaborate effectively in a team environment to
achieve desired results. Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree degree or equivalent experience and/or
- 5+ years of relevant experience required required.
- Experience with WCAG remediation preferred.
- Experience in a mature and scaled agile environment
- WAS Certification preferred. - provided by Dice
Keywords: Jackson National Life Insurance Company, Lansing , Sr. Accessibility Engineer, Engineering , Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!