CASE MANAGER MSW (per diem)
Company: Sparrow Health System
Posted on: November 14, 2023
Job ID:40945 Positions Location: Lansing, MI Job Description
General Purpose of Job:
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Resolve or minimize the social-emotional problems, resource
deficits and continuing care needs of patients and families served
by the Sparrow Health System to help them adapt within their
available community resources. Provide education and consultation
regarding resources, collaborate to develop a discharge plan and
facilitate and monitor its implementation. Assist patient/family
adjust to and cope with illness, diagnosis, treatment options and
prognosis. A priority focus in transitioning the patient toward
their next phase of care.
- Psychosocial Assessment and Interventions:
- Conducts a preliminary risk screening, assesses patients and
family's psychosocial risk factors through evaluation of prior
functioning levels, appropriateness and adequacy of support
systems, reaction to illness and ability to cope.
- Performs comprehensive assessments of patients' medical
condition, adjustment, support systems, finances, housing,
behavior, cognition, abuse factors, function and abilities, legal,
and substance abuse factors to identify issues, which must be
addressed prior to discharge.
- Intervenes with patients and families regarding emotional,
social, and financial consequences of illness and/or disability;
accesses and mobilizes family/community resources to meet
- Provides intervention in cases involving child abuse/neglect,
domestic violence, elderly abuse, institutional abuse and sexual
- Serves as a resource person and provides counseling and
intervention related to treatment decisions and end-of-life
- Develops long and short-term plans with the patient/family to
address problems identified.
- Provides emotional support to help patients cope with the
disruptions and distresses associated with their illness/injury.
Observes patient's right to self-determination and
- Intervenes with problems listed but not limited to: Child
Abuse, Adult Abuse, Substance Dependency, Suicide, Guardianship,
Conservatorship, Durable Power of Attorney, Mental Illness,
Adoption, Voluntary and Involuntary Committals.
- Care Coordination: Coordinates and facilitates patient care
progression throughout the continuum.
- A collaborative process that encompasses the following:
assessment, plans, implements, coordinates, monitors and evaluates
the options and services required to meet the needs of the
- Works collaboratively and maintains active communication with
other members of the interdisciplinary team to effect timely and
appropriate patient management.
- Proactively identifies and resolves delays and obstacles to
- Collaborates with the interdisciplinary care team facilitating
care for the designated case load; monitors the patient's progress
with the appropriate interventions ensuring a focused plan of care
and services are provided while providing high quality cost
- Facilitates transfers to other facilities as appropriate.
- Utilization Management:
- Identifies at-risk populations using approved screening tool
and follows established reporting procedures.
- Monitors and facilitates the length of stay and ancillary
resource use on an ongoing basis. Takes the appropriate actions to
achieve the continuous improvement in both length of stay and
- Self-directed and organized to meet the needs of the patient
and the health care team.
- Provides clear, concise, and timely written
- Communicate and provide information to post-acute care
providers and payers ensuring adequate resources are provided to
- Communicates effectively and navigating conflicts with
patients, families, members of the care team in a diplomatic and
- Negotiation with clinical departments and payers, advocating
for the patient; transitioning them to the next phase of care
* Licensed as a Social Worker in the state of Michigan-LMSW * Must
be working toward full licensure-complete within three years in the
position * BLS preferred * Certification in Case Management
* Ability to interview, assess, organize and problem solve. Ability
to identify appropriate community resources on assigned caseload
and to work collaboratively with patients, families, and
interdisciplinary team and community agencies to achieve desired
patient outcomes * Experience in acute care case management,
discharge planning, utilization management, performance improvement
and managed care reimbursement (preferred) * Social work experience
in an acute care setting, preferred
* Master's Degree in Social Work
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
* Maintains an environment that supports and encourages high
performance and reliability through caregiver engagement, teamwork,
and customer service ensuring safe quality patient-centered care. *
Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. *
Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting
the requirements for mandatory/continuing education, skills
competency, supports department-based goals which contribute to the
success of the organization. * Ability to work independently and
exercise sound judgement in interactions with physicians, payors,
patients and their families. * Demonstrates ability to use a
keyboard as may be required to perform the essential duties of the
job. *Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Word with 80% passing
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
protected Veteran status.
Patient Services/Nursing Support
Degree Type / Education Level
Keywords: Sparrow Health System, Lansing , CASE MANAGER MSW (per diem), Executive , Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!