Company: Sparrow Health System
Posted on: January 12, 2022
Positions Location: Ionia, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Responsible for providing medical staff or other qualified persons
with accurate timely laboratory test results. Must be capable of
performing a wide variety of complex clinical laboratory tests and
procedures, according to established standards; maintains and/or
calibrates highly scientific equipment; assists in documenting,
compiling, and distribution of Quality Control Material.
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential
duties assigned on a regular basis. Associates may be asked to
perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership
has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
* Performs accurate and timely assays in the following areas of the
laboratory: hematology, coagulation, serology, urinalysis,
chemistry, blood bank, and microbiology. In each of these areas,
the generation of a laboratory value is the result of following a
strict protocol, which is outlined in the procedure manuals.
* Performs secondary review of designated tests.
* Approves proficiency testing for reporting.
* Functions as designee to sign-off on proficiency testing.
* Responsible for performing quality control measures and
calibrations as prescribed in the various procedure manuals. This
should include performance, documentation, corrective measures if
indicated, and processing of the data.
* Performs monthly QC review.
* Operates the computer system within the laboratory. This includes
order entry, resulting, releasing of results and generation of the
hard copy laboratory report.
* Writes standard operating procedures.
* Reviews monthly maintenance.
* Prepares results of method validations for medical director's
* Verifies patient identity. Obtains laboratory specimens from
patients. This includes instructing and collecting various body
fluids, including blood specimens obtained both from veins and from
* Identifies and correctly labels various laboratory specimens.
* Maintains and ensures correct function of each machine within the
* Signs off/approves technicians' competencies.
* Assists in training of new caregivers.
* Collects legal specimens and testifies in court as deemed by
* Unpacks, dates and correctly stores laboratory supplies as they
* Notifies doctors or their designees of critical values
immediately when they arise.
* Prepares various reagents as needed. These reagents must be
properly prepared, dated, and stored as needed.
* Involved in performance improvement planning for the
* Must be aware of department and hospital policies, either by
attending department meetings, reading the minutes, or review of
hospital and department policy and procedure manuals.
* May serve in charge capacity
* Prioritizes workload to maximize efficiency while meeting patient
and physician needs.
General Requirements Nationally recognized certification or
eligible (ASCP, NCA) as a MT(ASCP), MLS (ASCP) or CLS(ASCP) Must be
certified within 12 months of hire and recertify if/as required.
Work Experience Worked as a Medical Technologist or similar
capacity in a Hospital Laboratory setting preferred Education
Bachelors of Science degree in Medical Technology, Clinical
Laboratory Science, Chemistry, Biology or related field.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Demonstrated knowledge of disease
processes as related to patient conditions and pertinent laboratory
testing performed. A basic knowledge of mathematics, accuracy,
precision, normal ranges and correlation with existing methods
including evaluation of clinical specimens for suitability for
testing and presence of interfering substances. Basic computer
skills for data entry, instrument operations and report production.
Basic knowledge of microscope use and function. Demonstrates
effective, positive verbal communication skills to those served by
the laboratory. Basic ability to take steps to resolve instrument
problems. An in-depth knowledge of laboratory medicine. Must be
flexible to work varied shifts when needed and be able to take call
as needed. Able to work independently. Excellent troubleshooting
skills. Able to multi-task.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
protected Veteran status.
Location: Sparrow Ionia Hospital
Activation Date: Tuesday, October 12, 2021
Expiration Date: Saturday, January 1, 2022
Keywords: Sparrow Health System, Lansing , SIH-Med Technologist-Reg, Other , Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!