SPEECH PATHOLOGIST-PD (FLAT RATE)
Company: Sparrow Health System
Posted on: May 14, 2022
Job ID: 33029 Sparrow Mary Free Bed Inpatient Rehabilitation
Positions Location: Lansing, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Assumes full responsibility for evaluating patient's need for
therapy to restore function, prevent disability, and maximize
potential and quality of life in the areas of speech, language,
swallowing, feeding, cognitive, and oral motor performance. Plans
and executes individual treatment programs in accordance with the
State of Michigan licensure and SLP scope of practice. Keeps
treatment skills upgraded through continuing education, evidence
based research, and program development. Perform job
responsibilities in accordance with the program's strategic
objectives and goals to carry out organizational strategic
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential
duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to
perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership
has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
- Perform speech therapy patient evaluations.
- Develop realistic , functional goals mutually agreed upon with
the patient/family. Treatment goals should be interdisciplinary and
patient-centered whenever possible.
- Employ principles of teaching and learning to educate patients
and their families in the knowledge and skills that promote
restoration of function for optimal performance both cognitively
and to improve swallow function.
- Perform speech/dysphagia treatment, according to the
established plan, utilizing all available modalities, equipment and
techniques within the scope of speech therapy.
- Document patient's status and progress through initial
evaluation, progress notes and discharge summary according to
established internal/external time standards and adherence to
- Collaborate with the interdisciplinary team in assessing,
planning, implementing, and evaluating the patient's care,
rehabilitation programs, and related rehabilitation
- Actively participate in case conference, care rounds, and
family meetings to progress patient toward rehab goals and
- Re-evaluate patients, assess their progress, and make
recommendations as to their discharge planning.
- Revise treatment plan as necessary. Reviews revised goals with
patient and family as appropriate.
- Maintain professional standards by participating in inservices
and hospital/department requirements.
- Delegates, directs, and supervises implementation of care to
PCTs, rehab support staff, students and interns according to
- Participates in planning for patient discharge by considering
and communicating with patient, family, community support/services
and environmental limitations.
- Follows all hospital policy and procedures related to infection
- Meets or exceeds program productivity expectations.
- Provides discipline specific coverage (following cross
training) within Sparrow Hospital system as requested.
- Supports program operations as assigned.
Other Job Responsibilities:
- May serve as a clinical instructor for speech therapy students.
Supervises, teaches, and evaluates skills of students and
volunteers. Communicates with participating universities regarding
skill levels of students.
- May participate in program development as assigned.
- May participate in orientation and training of new
- Assists in maintaining clean and orderly treatment
- Demonstrates competence in relevant software and hardware
required to meet job responsibilities.
* Demonstrates knowledge and maintains and respects patient right
to privacy by following the HIPAA Privacy and Security policies and
procedures. * Adheres to ICARE values and standards of behavior
(Innovation, Compassion, Accountability, Respect, Excellence). *
Role model behaviors that value the diversity of our caregivers,
patients and customers and supports creating an environment that is
inclusive, welcoming and respectful. * Communicates with patients,
families and customers using AIDET (Acknowledge, Introduce,
Duration, Explanation, Thank). * Works in a safe manner and
promptly reports any hazards identified in the work environment or
related to assigned responsibilities. * Adheres to policies and
procedures designed to avoid, prevent and reduce the spread of
* Previous experience with dysphagia and videoflouroscopy swallow
studies. * Experience in physical disabilities. Preferred. *
Minimum of two years experience in inpatient rehabilitation.
* Master's Degree in Speech/Language Pathology from an accredited
program in Speech/Language Pathology. * Certificate of Clinical
Competency in Speech/Language Pathology from American
Speech-Language-Hearing Association or eligible for clinical
fellowship year. * Licensed in the state of Michigan * Possess and
maintain CPR certification to meet department/program protocol
(within 6 months of hire).
Specialized Knowledge and Skills
* Basic clinical skills providing speech/language pathology
services. * Able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary
to provide care based on physical, psycho/social, educational,
safety and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients
serviced in his/her assigned service area as related to the
principle duties and responsibilities of the position. The skills
and knowledge needed to provide such care may be gained through
education, training, and experience. * Effective written and verbal
communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, ability to
perform multiple tasks and adapt to changing work situations.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
protected Veteran status.
Clinical Professional/Technical/Allied Health
Degree Type / Education Level
Keywords: Sparrow Health System, Lansing , SPEECH PATHOLOGIST-PD (FLAT RATE), Other , Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!