SIH-Outpt Authorization Coord
Company: Sparrow Health System
Posted on: June 24, 2022
Positions Location: Ionia, MI
General Purpose of Job:
Perform registration, scheduling, verification of insurance and
authorization for the Sparrow Ionia outpatient rehabilitation and
This job description is intended to cover the minimum essential
duties assigned on a regular basis. Caregivers may be asked to
perform additional duties as assigned by their leader. Leadership
has the right to alter or modify the duties of the position.
* Answer the telephone for the clinics as necessary. Demonstrates
ability to handle a large volume of telephone calls daily.
* Interview patients for the purpose of entering confidential
patient demographic and insurance information into the EPIC system
for all Outpatient Rehab Departments. Performs registrations and
scheduling for outpatient rehabilitation and orthopaedic department
* Assist with boarding of patient orthopaedic surgeries with the
SIH surgery department.
* Collect complete and accurate demographic and financial
information while in compliance with federal regulations such as
HIPAA and EMTALA.
* Assist SIH Orthopaedic and Physical Therapy Receptionist(s) as
* Verify insurance eligibility by using all electronic systems
available to them or verification by phone. Collect and verify
necessary authorizations as appropriate and possess general
knowledge of financial class requirements with regard to
registration and insurance requirements. Document financial
information in the accounts for billing purposes.
* Possesses knowledge of insurance changes and works with Patient
Financial Services to ensure accurate billing. Assists in the
quality control process to maintain a level of accuracy to produce
an accurate claim.
* Cooperate with outpatient rehab staff and other health system
departments to maximize the efficiency of non-clinical services
such as registering, scheduling, authorization, and billing of our
* Maintain referral and patient stats as assigned.
* Assists in training new Caregivers and reports the progress to
the Supervisor or Manager.
* Cross-train with other office staff to competently cover other
positions with minimal supervision.
* Serve as a role model for consistent demonstration of Sparrow
Health System's Customer Service Behavioral Standards of
performance by respecting the Privacy and Confidentiality of those
* Maximize customer satisfaction by treating our customers with
respect and responding to their needs in a prompt, friendly, and
General Requirements BLS Certification (within 6 months of hire).
Work Experience Minimum of 6 months experience in a healthcare
office or similar setting. Minimum of 1 year of previous customer
service experience. Education High school diploma or GED.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Knowledge of health insurance
coverage, policies/procedures and/or experience in patient billing,
admitting or related field. Demonstrate working knowledge of
Microsoft Office applications or other computer software as deemed
appropriate. Computer keyboard experience of 50 WPM. Knowledge of
medical terminology and ICD-9 and ICD-10 coding. Demonstrate
effective written and verbal communication skills and strong
interpersonal skills. Demonstrate ability to prioritize and keep
pace in a very busy setting. Ability to perform multiple tasks and
adapt to changing work situations.
Sparrow Health System is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or
protected Veteran status
Location: Sparrow Ionia Hospital
Activation Date: Friday, April 8, 2022
Expiration Date: Sunday, January 1, 2023
Keywords: Sparrow Health System, Lansing , SIH-Outpt Authorization Coord, Other , Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!