Manager - Transportation & Logistics
Company: Waste Management
Posted on: January 12, 2022
What is the Value of a WM Job?
The value of a WM job is more than a paycheck.
We are Committed to your Growth : 100% tuition paid for you and
We are People First: We foster an environment where all teammates
feel welcomed, valued and seen
We are Stable: Our employees are home every day and perform
essential and meaningful work
We are Investing in You: Amazing Medical, Dental & Vision, 401k
with match, Discounted Stock options, Dependent Day Care, and more!
COBRA reimbursement to bridge your medical coverage
Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
Waste Management (WM), a Fortune 250 company, is the leading
provider of comprehensive waste and environmental services in North
America. We are strongly committed to a foundation of operating
excellence, professionalism and financial strength. WM serves
nearly 25 million customers in residential, commercial, industrial
and municipal markets throughout North America through a network of
collection operations, transfer stations, landfills, recycling
facilities and waste-based energy production projects.
We are looking for a leader who knows how to engage and motivate
your team to drive the Company's goals. This leader will join a
team of hard-driving professionals that makes Waste Management #1
in the industry.
Hopefully you are not just a behind-the-desk person. In this
position, you will be in the office for about 40% of the time, 40%
in the field with the drivers and customers, and 20% in the yard
managing the pre and post trip process.
I. Job Summary
As a member of our team, you will manage your drivers and will be
responsible for all aspects of your line of business. Some of your
responsibilities include hiring, coaching and training your
drivers, keeping the culture of Safety, working with our Dispatch
and Customer Service teams in Michigan for routing and ensuring
your customers are receiving a high level of service, and managing
to the metrics.
You will work together with your team which includes a District
Manager, Route Managers, Operations Specialist and the District
Fleet Manager to make your District a successful part of Waste
II. Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, you will need to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. Other minor duties may be assigned.
Some of these duties are:
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources required to
accomplish activities. Coordinates daily operational needs with
- Reviews and analyzes multiple reports to drive and improve
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route
assignments to ensure customers are serviced per company standards
- Manages the end-of-day check-in process including post trip
quality, capturing and communicating key service, safety, and
- Ensure compliance with DOT and OSHA rules and regulations
including documentation and record keeping.
- Reviews weekly demand / volume for routes, determines potential
gains from re-routing, and recommends re-routes to the routing
- Sets and monitors productivity, service, and safety targets for
each route and driver.
- Promotes a union free atmosphere and where appropriate,
establishes collaborative relations with unions.
- Works with functional groups to resolve employee relations and
labor relations issues.
- Conducts Root Cause Investigations for all injuries and
incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Visits customers and customer sites to evaluate and resolve
safety issues, seeking service alternatives where appropriate.
- Teams with Dispatch and Customer Service to identify and
resolve routing and customer service issues
- Communicates and follows-up on sales opportunities, problems at
customer site, DVIR repairs, container swaps, and safety issues
reported by drivers.
- Whatever else needed to ensure a successful, ethical, and safe
III. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job has supervisory responsibilities for Drivers assigned to
the position. This includes responsibility for employee performance
reviews and feedback, scheduling time off, employee grievances or
complaints, pay changes and job responsibilities.
The requirements listed below are representative of the
qualifications necessary to perform the job.
A. Education and Experience
- Education: Associates Degree (accredited), or in lieu of
diploma, High School Diploma or GED (accredited) and two (2) years
of relevant work experience work in transportation, logistics,
warehousing, or solid waste operations .
- Education Preferred: Bachelor's degree in Transportation,
Logistics, Operations, Business Management.
- Experience: No experience required (in addition to education
- Experience Preferred: One or more years of transportation
experience involving managing and successfully coaching CDL
B. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
Valid driver's license
C. Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
Coaching, routing assessments and leading employees are
requirements of the role.
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Preferred
- Intermediate level of technical expertise in using computer
programs, and creating and analyzing reports.
- Strong coaching skills
- Ability to engage drivers and develop talent
- Proven ability to create collaborative relationships with all
- Direct management/supervision of drivers
- Strong communication skills and strong listening skills.
- Good analytical skills and previous experience managing to
- Proven ability to drive results
- Safety focused
- Working knowledge of DOT rules and regulations
V. Work Environment
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and
work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made
to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such
as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) most of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than
30 pounds rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks (such as
cuts, burns, exposure to toxic chemicals, etc.) rarely;
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves
dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements part of
the work day;
- Normal setting for this job is: office setting and/or
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive
total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life
Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as a Stock Purchase
Plan, Company match on 401K, and more! Our employees also receive
Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Personal Days. Please note that
benefits may vary by site.
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for,
please click "Apply."
Keywords: Waste Management, Lansing , Manager - Transportation & Logistics, Professions , Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!