Trade Compliance Manager
Posted on: May 14, 2022
As a family company, we serve people and communities. When you
work at Meijer, you're provided with career and community
opportunities centered around leadership, personal growth and
development. Consider joining our family - take care of your career
and your community!
- Weekly pay
- Scheduling flexibility
- Paid parental leave
- Paid education assistance
- Care.com/back-up care assistance
- Team member discount
- Development programs for advancement and career growth
Please review the job profile below and apply today!This position
serves as a functional expert in Customs Compliance and is
responsible for strategy and execution of all programs involving
receipt of imported goods in a manner consistent with company
policies, Government regulations, and applicable laws. This
includes working closely with agencies in the field of
international trade. IT is responsible for all Customs Brokerage
processes. IT provides specialized requirements of importing as
well as cross coverage and department support for end to end supply
chain management and budget control. This position will continually
improve and maintain internal programs including CTPAT Tier 3, and
written verifiable procedure that are efficient and effective at
facilitating legitimate trade throughout our supply chain..What
You'll be Doing:
- Develop, implement and maintain corporate compliance strategies
designed to minimize risk and ensure regulatory compliance. Provide
guidance and instructions to customs broker, overseas office,
factories, sourcing managers, finance and logistics team on
pre-entry and shipment requirements.
- Work with Meijer's Freight Forwarder and Customs Broker to
establish procedure to ensure compliance with import
- Work with Inbound logistics team and Freight Forwarder to
resolve documentation or shipment related issues.
- Manage Meijer's Importer Security Filing program with Freight
Forwarder and Customs.
- On an ongoing basis position review operations of Logistics,
Merchandising and Distribution to determine if adequate and cost
effective internal controls are in place to properly classify,
value, and correctly enter with the U.S. Customs and Border
Protection commercial product that Meijer enters into the commerce
of the U.S. Where additional controls are needed, works with the
operations and leadership of the area involved, developing and
implementing the necessary internal controls.
- Provide advice and guidance on import laws and regulations to
the various Meijer operations involved with importing.
- Work with the Legal Department to obtain advice on complex
legal issues involving import operations at Meijer.
- Provide feedback to Inbound Logistics Manager on the third
party customs brokers to ensure they are complying with federal
laws on the entry of Meijer product with the Customs and Border
- Work with and assist the Meijer buying agents with
classification, value, entry and Customs Laws and Regulations on
product that they are working with on behalf of Meijer.
- Maintain and administer Buying Agent Agreements.
- Work with Internal Audit Department and conduct periodic audits
of the Import operations to determine compliance ratings in the
area of classification, value, quantity and entry accuracy. This
position is required to perform the classification and record
keeping evaluation portion of the audit as well as advise Internal
Audit on technical issues related to the valuation, quantity and
entry accuracy portion of the audits.
- Develop, maintain, train on and publish the Import Compliance
- Maintain the required import licenses for the various federal
- Coordinate with Legal on powers of attorney to third party
- In conjunction with Legal, represent Meijer before the U.S.
Customs and Border Protection on all issues including protests,
re-delivery notices, requests for information, requests for
investigations, audits, prior disclosures, post entry amendments
and binding rulings.
- Provide direction and oversee the binding rulings that are
requested for Meijer. As necessary, determine which issues require
a binding ruling and coordinate writing of binding ruling with
third-party Customs House Broker.
- Determine if specific issues require scope rulings from the
U.S. Department of Commerce on anti-dumping issues. In conjunction
with Legal, write the scope ruling requests.
- Monitor special trade programs of the U.S. and provide training
and advice to merchandising and the Meijer Buying Agents on the
applicability of these programs to the Meijer direct import
- Review commissions and royalties and determine if dutiable.
Maintain and administer commissions and royalty spreadsheet.
Develops internal controls that ensure the correct valuation of
these commissions and royalties.
- Conduct a full-blown Import Compliance Audit of Meijer annually
with the assistance of the Internal Audit and Legal
- Remain licensed, knowledgeable and up to date with regulatory
changes and programs developed by Dept. of Homeland
Security/Customs and Border Patrol/Revenue
Canada/Fish&Wildlife/Consumer Product Safety/Commerce
Department and other government agencies. Attend seminars and
conferences regularly and update Meijer's policy and procedures and
program needs accordingly.
- Develop compliance team through development of individual goals
and metric for high level employee performance. Provide consistent
internal training with thoughtful coaching, as well as meaningful
and timely feedback. Develop open and honest relationships that
foster growth. - Provide proactive guidance and decision making to
resolve problems timely and effectively. Create and maintain strong
cross-functional relationships and strategic alliances to achieve
objectives and understanding of best practices across the
- This job profile is not meant to be all inclusive of the
responsibilities of this position; may perform other duties as
assigned or required.What You Bring with You (Qualifications):
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Supply Chain, International or a
- 5+ years of experience of import, logistics services experience
- 3+ years of leadership experience.
- Licensed Customs Broker.
- Strong written communication skills.
- Ability to understand complicated government regulations and
apply them to Meijer's import program...
Keywords: Meijer, Lansing , Trade Compliance Manager, Professions , Lansing, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!